Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Trek 2012

If you can believe that Colin and I have never been on trek than you are correct.  This year we were called to be a Ma and Pa.  When the Bishop called us in to extend the call, he prefaced by saying he wouldn't officially extend the calling till we checked to see if we could get someone for our kids.  He said there was no pressure, but see if we could work something out.  I went straight home and called my mom.  Her answer was, "Tell me when and I will be there.  You and Colin need to experience this, it will change your life."  What a blessing she is in this whole experience!
Colin and I are not the most out-doorsie type. (a bit of an understatement)  As we went to these meetings for preparation spiritually and physically we would leave with a big pit in our stomachs.  "What have we done?"  "How can we be in charge of 8 teenagers, if we aren't sure we can survive this?"
The one thing that kept me going, and solidified my goal to get there was the overwhelming feeling of LOVE I felt each time I would walk into those meetings.  It is something I cannot put into words, but it is real and I will never forget the feeling that something, or someone, was comforting me and pushing me onward.  All of this BEFORE we even left.

Well, the day finally arrived, and prepared or not, we hit the road! 
We were assigned 4 boys and 4 girls with a Big brother and a big sister.  Here is our crew.  Let me just state right now that the youth have always scared me to death.  I have NEVER had a calling that involved them.  I am always nervous and feel as though I can't relate with them.  They always make me worried they are going to say something embarrassing and I won't know how to respond... Needless to say this whole experience was a stretch for me.

Once we arrived at Desert Land and Livestock we got our handcart and loaded it up.  Everyone was so helpful.  Here we are fresh, clean, and ready to pull.

This is our first lunch stop.  I had loaded my apron pockets with getting to know you questions, and had spent some time brushing up on my camps songs.  These came in handy, and was a great way to break down walls and fall in LOVE with these darling people.


At one point there was a huge mud puddle.  We could not go around we had to go straight through.  Who knew Mr. Colin Wright could get a little dirty!


The women's pull.  This was an amazing experience that they did a little different.  The sent the boys out about an hour before us with some carts and they had to do it too.  Then they kept going.  We pulled the entire day with out them!  It was about 8 miles, and each step found the girls begging for those boys back.  Not just for some help, but they missed their company, and they missed their little family we have created.  At the end of the long day came the boys running around the corner.  Brigham Young had stood and told the boys that we were stranded out on the prairie and to "Bring them in"  The boys had missed us too and ran to our aid.  It was a very emotional reunion, one I'm sure the saints had experience similarly.

We built tents with our handcart.  This is us laughing and enjoying our last night together.

Ma and Pa

Pyramid!

People told me time and again that this experience would change my life.  That is an understatement.  It changed it in ways I didn't see coming.  The thing that has changed in me the most is the big spot I have in my heart for the Youth that were in my family, and the admiration I have for those men and women who did this FOR REAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment