My little Hank has had one ear infection after another starting at 4 months old. When we to an ENT to clear it up! Well, no antibiotic will cure this boy of his infections. After lot's of hoop jumping we got our first set of tubes at 8 months! Since then we have had three more sets and adenoids removed! Today we got our fifth, and hopefully finally set. His little ears are not getting infected now that he is older they are just filling with fluid and causing hearing loss. The doctor told me that Hank hears as if his ears were plugged. Oh that poor little man! The only encouragement I get from the doctor is that he WILL eventually grow out of it. We'll see, I guess.
Today was a monumental day for Hank in the fact that this might be the first surgery he will remember. I think he is finally old enough. Because he is old enough he was a little nervous. He tried really hard to be brave, but when the nurse told him he would have to wear the funny hospital PJ's he got scared. He cried this little cry that breaks a mommy's heart. You know, the kind that make you feel like you are mean for making him go through with this. The nurse suggested that Hank have some Versed(I don't know how to spell it). That is an anti anxiety medication. It makes them loopy. WELL, let's just say that Hank would be a happy drunk. About ten minutes into it his head just kept tipping over. It was like it was too heavy to hold up. The doctor and I had some really great laugh's at his expense! The nurse said to him, "Are you drunk?" And with a glazed over mischievous smile he said, "Yeeeeeeesssssss!" His speech was slurring. I laughed so hard at him I was in tears.
After the surgery he was still "Drunk". He just kept shaking his head back and forth, he couldn't coordinate hand to mouth. He kept toppling over ever time he stood up, and he kept talking in a Darth Vador voice, while repeating everything he heard said in the recovery room. Who needs a comedian? Just put your kid on some medication and laugh the day away. When we left they had to wheel him out because of his condition, and he sang to the nurse and I the whole way out! I will never forget the joy this kid brought me today as I got to see into his little personality!
I am grateful everything went well today, and I always ponder when we go through this, "How the hell did Ashlie ever do what she did with George?" Bless his little heart! And yours too, Ash!
Here are some photo's. You can kind of see it in his eyes.
Isn't Versed (yes, you spelled it right!) the greatest drug ever? It's my favorite drug for my cute little patients that are having a hard time. Glad Hank is doing okay...here's to hoping the problem is solved now!
ReplyDeleteOh I hope this is the last time & he is all fixed! That is so funny how he acted!!
ReplyDeleteI hope this is the last time but if not next time I am there and we have a video camera!!
ReplyDeleteI hope this is the last time for him. We have done that once with Deak and it was not fun. NO matter the reason, it is hard to have your baby taken into that room with the doctors!!
ReplyDeleteHope Hank is feeling better!
That Hank is such a trooper and has such a sweet and funny personality--that apparently gets funnier with Versed. That stuff has worked some wonders for us, too. Not nearly as funny though!
ReplyDeleteOh Randi, I feel bad he had to go through that but it does sound pretty hilarious!
ReplyDeleteRandi! Your kids are darling. What a funny story about Hank, but sad about his ears. I sure hope this time works!! I saw your blog on Kysha's. So fun to see how you guys are doing!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on darling baby Ruby! She is adorable!!